You will need to be aware of the Uber Car Requirements if you are to looking to apply to become either a full or part-time driver. Not only does Uber have rules in place to become a driver for their company, but also in reference to what type of vehicle you can use whilst driving for them.
If you are thinking of becoming an Uber driver we have a dedicated section here to help you get started and this article should help you understand the Uber Car Requirements.
This video on YouTube also gives you a quick run through of the Uber Driver Requirements.
It would be a good idea and a huge saving of time to know the Uber Car Requirements before starting the application process. Without knowing the Uber Car Requirements you could be spending a LOT of time pursuing an avenue that you are not able to take any further due to money restraints.
Uber’s general outline for drivers is as follows:
1. You must be of legal age (depending on where you live, varies between 21 and 23 years old)
2. The vehicle used by the driver must have insurance, this is mandatory.
3. The obligation of experience of at least three years of driving.
4. The driver who applies for the post will go through a criminal background check process, you will also be checked to ensure that you have a clean driving record.
5. The vehicle that will be used for driving must pass through the Uber inspection process.
Through the great need to expand the number of cars on the street, Uber updated the requirements for vehicles in 2016. However, this was to be expected, given that the number of new drivers applying for the position became so high.
Because of this high demand, Uber had the need to monitor these developments in the transport industry and search for improvement of the system, as well as the safety of the optimisation of both drivers and passengers. Thus, the only way to achieve this improvement is to modify the requirements for the year of the vehicle to the UberXL and UberX drivers.
Uber Car Requirements for the USA:
Atlanta City – cars from 2005 or greater
Boston City– cars from 2001 or greater
Chicago City– cars from 2001 or greater
DC– cars from the year 2005 or greater
Denver City– cars from 2001 or greater
Dallas City– cars from 2003 or greater
Milwaukee – Cars from 2001 or greater
Nashville City– cars from 2001 or greater
New York City– cars from 2010 or greater
Philadelphia – cars from 2001
Pittsburgh – cars from the year 2006 or later (or from 2004 to hybrid vehicles)
LA / OC / SD and SF – cars from 2001
The update regarding UberX and UberXL cars currently found were only those, so the other requirements remain the same still. However, Uber said it is already working to make changes so that new future Uber drivers will need to wait a little longer to find out what these new requirements will be.
UberX is the most popular service offered by Uber, and it is also the service with the lowest price for passengers looking to use the service. It is a service commonly used by the majority of Uber users on a daily basis due to the fact that it is a much cheaper service than a taxi. However, regardless of appearing to be a standard service, the requirements for this are complex.
1. It is mandatory that the vehicle can accommodate four independent passengers.
2. It shall be binding that the vehicle has the model from 2000 or later, but it depends on the city. It is essential to check this requirement as there are cities where the car model to be the year 2007 or higher with a maximum of 100,000 miles recorded on the vehicle equipment.
Vehicles authorised to run as UberX are:
Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cobalt, Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Ford F-150, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Camry, Toyota Prius, Corolla and Toyota Prius.
UberXL is characterised as the second level of the company’s service. This type of service is accurate for passengers who need a car that is more spacious so are directed to drivers who possess a minivan or SUV. Thus, the amounts charged for this type of service are more expensive than the basic service that is UberX. However, applications still tend to be more rigorous.
1. It is mandatory that the vehicle UberXL can seat at least six independent passengers.
2. The model required to the vehicle must be from 2000 or later, but this will depend on which city the car will run. There are cities where the requirement is more stringent so that the model year must be from 2007 or later, as well as the mileage must be a maximum of 100,000 miles recorded on the vehicle equipment.
3. It is mandatory that the vehicle passes the inspection process Uber vehicle inspection
Required cars to work as UberXL: Dodge Caravan, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Acadia,Dodge Caravan, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Acadia, Ford Expedition, Jeep Cherokee, Honda Pilot, Dodge Durango, and Honda Odyssey.
Services for Uber Select & Uber Plus only apply to some states or cities, yet expansion to more places is certain as the demand continues to grow. It is a service with higher value compared to the two services mentioned above, and obviously, the requirements are strict and sophisticated.
1. It is required that the vehicle has the entry level compatible as a 4-door luxury sedan
2. The vehicle is required to have the leather interior.
3. It is mandatory that the vehicle can contain four independent passengers.
4. It shall be binding that the models of cars are of 2007 or higher only.
5. It is mandatory that the vehicle passes the inspection process Uber vehicle inspection
Required cars to work for UberSlect or UberPlus are from the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class or greater, Cadillac, all Lincolns, all Infiniti cars, Volvo S60, Audi A3 or larger and Acura.
Appointed as the higher versions of UberXL and UberX vehicles, if you want to apply for this job it is mandatory that you drive an SUV or a black luxury sedan. Thus, the fees charged for this service are the highest as well as the requirements to become a driver of this calibre.
See below for the high standard requirements:
1. It is required to have an SUV or full-size Sedan
2. It is mandatory that the interior and the exterior of the vehicle is black.
3. It is mandatory that the vehicle model is from the year 2012
4. It shall be binding that the vehicle driver has insurance and commercial registration.
5. You must have permission from any airport that you are looking to pick up and drop off from.
6. It is mandatory that the vehicle passes the inspection process Uber vehicle inspection
The cars required for UberBlack category are BMW 5 Series, Audi A6 / A7, Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
The cars required for UberSUV category are Chevrolet Suburban, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon XL and Cadillac Escalade.
Finding out the correct Uber car requirements for each section can be a bit of minefield, your best bet, which may of course be dependent on your budget, for example, this may mean that you have no choice but to begin with Uber X, would be to pick the one type of Uber service that are you looking to drive for and then focus on that particular service first to avoid any confusion which you may find overwhelming and could even put you off from applying to become an Uber driver.
If you do have no choice but to apply for Uber X first, simply think of it as a stepping stone to reaching a higher profile position e.g. Uber Black and build from there.