How many times have you found yourself attempting to make a start on a new idea, business venture or learning experience but then find yourself giving up very quickly when, after no time at all, you do not see the results that you expected?
I have on many occasions in the past done this and I am guessing at some point in your own life that you have done so as well.
How many times have you read a blog post (no, not this one…) about someone that you have been following online who appears to have made “it”, that “it” could be in terms off having a massive email marketing list, selling a ton of books on Amazon, making huge amounts of money through affiliate marketing etc. and then you have thought to yourself “I can do that”
And then you try.
For a little why.
And then you give up…
You give up because the results that you were expecting were not instant. We now live in a make it happen now society, we have not patients to see the results over a long term period, it has to be now or never.
Yet, patients is the secret source.
So how do you become more patient?
You need to change your mindset.
If you are in the fixed mindset mode you will always find it very hard to see any growth, this could be on a personal or business related basis.
The fixed mindset will:
- Hold you back from attempting to make progress and reach your goals.
- Make you give up when success has not happened overnight.
- Lower your confidence when you believe that you are continuously failing.
- Make you convince yourself that you are not able to succeed and put yourself off from even attempting something new.
- Take criticism in the wrong way, you will only let it make you feel like you are failing.
- Look to blame other people or certain reasons when you have not achieved what you are looking to do.
- Make you fail to understand that other people who are excelling in certain areas have the growth mindset and are putting in the behind the scenes effort to obtain the high returns and results that they are getting.
- Keep you in the same structured way of learning, never looking outside the box or change you learning ways.
- Stop you being accountable for your own lack of effort.
- Make you hide your flaws and possibly even lie about test results etc. to make yourself look good.
You need to change your mindset to incorporate a new way of learning, how can you do this?
The Key to Succeeding?
The growth mindset.
Think about this logically, did you build you entire life in one night? No, it has taken time. A number of years in most cases.
Like a good working marriage, a successful career or a blossoming business, all good things take time to achieve, why would you expect anything else that you are attempting later in your life to happen overnight when it has taken a set of number of years to achieve everything that you have learnt up to this point? It won’t. It does not happen like.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Those overnight success stories that you read about? What you do not see is the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes, probably over a number years to hone skills and have a greater understanding, that number one selling book did not just get magically written and hit the number 1 spot on Amazon, the same applies to the actor starring in the latest blockbuster or a band with the hit new album.
It takes a long time to hone your skills, so you need to practice.
Remember that practice does not make perfect, it makes you better at what you are practicing.
The growth mindset allows you to accept that, you should be always looking to expand your learning skills, your personality etc. This will really benefit you life and allow you to achieve success and reach your long-term goals over a long term period.
The growth mindset will allow you to :
- Be more patient – nothing happens overnight.
- Approach learning with new angles so you will have a greater chance of understanding something better.
- Accept criticism and learn to use it in a positive way to improve on what you are practising.
- Gain confidence by learning new topics etc.
- Have a thirst for knowledge. The more you learn about a topic, the better you will understand it.
- Learn to practice at something over a long period of time to get better at it.
- Understand that people are not born with instant knowledge, they get good at what they do by spending a long time practising it.
- Create good habits and learn to make them stick over the long term to achieve success.
- Believe that you can always expand your learning capabilities.
- You will learn to look at the word “Failure” in a new way. Are you actually failing at something or are you learning to do something different and to be better at it next time you attempt it?
The growth mindset will allow to you really expand on areas in your life that wish to improve on, just because you did not do something right the first time it does mean you should simply give up, it simply means that you need to gain more of an insight on how to do it better next time.
If you apply this way of thinking to different areas of your life, and you can make the habit stick, then there is no reason why you will not be able to improve on those areas over the long term giving your life a greater depth to it.
I strongly believe that anybody can do this no matter what their circumstances are, you may not believe that you are the smartest or most intelligent person BUT if you continue to study something over a long period of time your hard work will pay off so can you reach your goals.
So, be patient, continue to move forward by learning, and then reap the results over the long term.
Changing your frame of mind to the growth mindset will result in only positive things happening to your life.
And that is a life worth living.